About policy lab
The policy lab is designed for policymakers and researchers whose work is to engage citizens, NGOs,
institutions and companies in policy. Inspired by the Design Thinking methodology, this bottom-up
approach helps to co-design policy recommendations with stakeholders in order to change their behaviours
and have an impact in everyday life. Built as 10 steps that be taken globally or separately,
this guideline is meant to be applicable to any country, any sector, with different focal points
to accommodate for local circumstances.
Check out the ENTRUST Policy Toolkit and learn how become an Energy Citizen by adopting sustainable behaviours thought by citizens!
Download Policy toolkit
Other step Overview
- Identifying barriers preventing targeted behaviour change policies and developing policy options to address these are key outcomes of working through the steps of this toolkit.
Prioritising proposed ideas can help put policies into perspective. Some useful criteria to prioritise policy options include their potential impact, pros and cons, cost-benefit analysis, practicality and feasibility (including time and resource constraints), to address existing gaps, and acceptance by the community.
The ENTRUST project used the following criteria to prioritise policy options:
The sustainable benefit of a policy option:
- The potential capacity of the policy recommendation to change people’s behaviours
- The capacity of the policy recommendation to place citizens at the centre of the energy system
- The conformity of the policy recommendation with the concept of “Energy justice.” This concept aims at “providing all individuals, across all areas, with safe, affordable and sustainable energy" (Heffron & McCauley, 2017)
- Respect for sustainable development principles
- The cost of implementation of a policy option: An estimated cost of implementation was carried out at macro level for each policy option. According to this analysis, a level of potential cost was assigned for each policy option (low, low-medium, medium, medium-high or high).